Pediatric Oncologist in Mumbai
A pediatric oncologist is a medical doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of cancers in children and adolescents. They have advanced training in both pediatrics (the medical care of children) and oncology (the study and treatment of cancer).
Pediatric oncologists work closely with other healthcare professionals, such as pediatric surgeons, radiation oncologists, pathologists, and radiologists, to provide comprehensive care to young cancer patients.
What are the roles of a Pediatric Oncologist?
Pediatric oncologists work specifically with pediatric patients, from infants to teenagers, who have been diagnosed with cancer. They have in-depth knowledge of the unique aspects of childhood cancer including the different types of cancer that commonly affect children, the specific treatment approaches suitable for pediatric patients, and the long-term effects of cancer treatments on a child’s growth and development.
When to visit a Pediatric Oncologist?
The main reason to meet a pediatric oncologist is when you have a child or teen diagnosed with cancer. If a child experiences persistent or unexplained symptoms that raise concerns about cancer, such as unexplained weight loss, prolonged fatigue, frequent or severe headaches, unexplained pain, persistent fever, unexplained lumps or swelling, or changes in vision, it is advisable to consult a pediatric oncologist.
Pediatric Oncologist in Mumbai
Other reasons to see a Pediatric Oncologist include –
- If a child’s primary care physician or another specialist suspects the possibility of cancer-based on the child’s medical history, symptoms, or test results.
- If there is a strong family history of cancer it may be recommended to consult a pediatric oncologist for genetic counseling and screening.
- If imaging tests, such as X-rays, ultrasounds, CT scans, or MRIs, show abnormalities that raise concerns about cancer, a pediatric oncologist should be consulted for further diagnosis.
How to find the right pediatric oncologist?
In-depth research is needed to determine the right pediatric oncologist based on the patient’s needs and concerns. Cancer in children is rare so finding a specialist doctor to treat your child’s cancer is significantly important. For that, you need to find expert Pediatric Oncologists through –
- Comparing doctor’s credentials
- Speaking with the doctor’s support staff
- Getting referrals from doctors
- Research hospitals and centers
- Acquire reviews from Patients and hospitals
- Consider logistics and accessibility
- Evaluate hospital affilaitions
- Seek recommendations from other families
Choose a doctor who is experienced, confident, demonstrates empathy, and has a good reputation. Working with a compassionate and experienced pediatric oncologist can greatly contribute to your child’s cancer care and overall well-being.
What treatments can you expect from Pediatric Oncologist?
Pediatric oncologists employ a variety of treatment approaches to address cancer in children. The specific treatments recommended for a child will depend on factors such as the type and stage of cancer, the child’s overall health, and individualized considerations. Here are some common treatments that a pediatric oncologist may recommend –
- Chemotherapy – Chemotherapy involves the use of powerful medications to kill cancer cells or prevent their growth. It can be administered orally, through injections, or intravenously.
- Radiation therapy – Radiation therapy uses high-energy X-rays or other forms of radiation to target and kill cancer cells. It is typically delivered externally, through a machine called a linear accelerator.
- Surgery – Surgical intervention involves the removal of cancerous tumors or tissues. Pediatric oncologists work closely with pediatric surgeons to determine the extent and feasibility of surgery as a treatment option. Surgery may be used to remove solid tumors, biopsy lymph nodes, or relieve symptoms caused by the tumor’s presence.
- Immunotherapy – Immunotherapy utilizes the body’s immune system to recognize and destroy cancer cells. It can involve the use of monoclonal antibodies, immune checkpoint inhibitors, or cellular therapies such as CAR-T cell therapy.
- Targeted therapy – Targeted therapies are medications that specifically target the abnormalities or genetic mutations present in cancer cells. They work by inhibiting the growth or spread of cancer cells while minimizing damage to healthy cells.
- Stem cell transplantation – Stem cell transplantation, also known as a bone marrow transplant or hematopoietic stem cell transplant, involves replacing damaged or destroyed bone marrow with healthy stem cells.
FAQs regarding Pediatric Oncologist in Mumbai
Once you’ve done deep research on the best pediatric oncologists in Mumbai you must ask these important questions (FAQs) to pediatric oncologists –
- How long have you practiced in the pediatric oncology field?
- How long does treatment typically last for pediatric cancer?
- What are the long-term effects of pediatric cancer treatments?
- How do pediatric oncologists support the emotional needs of children and their families?
- How many children have you treated with cancer?
- What are the treatment plans for your child’s type of cancer?
Why Uhapo is the Best Healthcare Navigator to find Pediatric Oncologists in Mumbai?
Uhapo is a social enterprise that provides access to the best medical team of highly-qualified cancer doctors and specialists to treat cancer with care. Our organization is equipped with a network of the Best Pediatric Oncologist in Mumbai who are skilled in various diagnostic techniques that include physical examinations, biopsies, imaging tests (such as CT scans, MRI scans, and PET scans), and laboratory analysis for accurately diagnosing pediatric cancer among patients. Our Pediatric Oncologists in Mumbai are expertized in determining the stage of cancer – which involves evaluating the extent of cancer spread for making treatment decisions and providing prognostic information about the likely course of the disease.
We can navigate you to the Best Pediatric Oncologist in Mumbai – that are qualified to assess the individual needs of each patient by developing personalized treatment plans. They determine the overall factors of individual patients including the type and stage of the cancer, the patient’s overall health, and their treatment goals. The major treatment options considered by our top oncology doctors in pediatric cancer are surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, targeted therapy, or a combination of these modalities to cure the patients with the best treatment approaches.