Neuro Oncologist in Mumbai
A neuro-oncologist is a medical doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of brain tumors and other cancers of the nervous system. The nervous system includes the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. Neuro-oncologists have expertise in neurology and oncology, combining knowledge from these two fields to provide comprehensive care for patients with brain and nervous system cancers.
The exact causes of cancers of neurological tumors are often unknown, but researchers have identified several factors that may contribute to their development such as Genetic factors, Radiation exposure from environmental sources, Family history, Occupational exposure to certain chemicals, Immunodeficiency, or certain hormonal factors. In most cases, the development of neuro-oncology tumors is likely to involve a complex interaction of multiple factors. However, further research and studies are still needed to understand the causes and risk factors associated with these types of tumors.
The diagnosis of neurological tumors consists of brain tumors and spinal cord tumors, and it typically involves a comprehensive evaluation and several diagnostic tests. The diagnostic process may include the following steps –
- Medical history and physical examination – The neuro-oncologist will begin by taking a detailed medical history, including any symptoms you are experiencing, their duration and progression, as well as any risk factors or previous medical conditions. A thorough physical examination will also be performed, including a neurological assessment.
Neuro Oncologist in Mumbai
2. Neuroimaging – Neuroimaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT) scans, are commonly used to visualize the brain and spinal cord.
3. Biopsy – In some cases, a biopsy is necessary to obtain a tissue sample for a definitive diagnosis. A biopsy involves the removal of a small piece of the tumor tissue, which is then analyzed by a pathologist.
4. Pathology evaluation – The tissue sample obtained from the biopsy or surgical resection is sent to a pathologist for microscopic examination. The pathologist assesses the type of tumor, its grade (a measure of aggressiveness), and other important characteristics that guide treatment decisions.
5. Molecular and genetic testing – Molecular and genetic testing may be conducted on the tumor tissue to identify specific genetic mutations or alterations. This information can help determine targeted treatment options and prognosis.
6. Lumbar puncture (spinal tap) – In some cases, a lumbar puncture may be performed to obtain cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) for analysis. This can help detect tumor cells or other abnormalities in the CSF.
7. Electroencephalogram (EEG) – If seizures are a symptom, an EEG may be conducted to evaluate brain activity and identify abnormal electrical patterns that could indicate a tumor or epilepsy.
8. Blood tests – Blood tests may be performed to assess general health, evaluate organ function, and detect certain tumor markers or specific genetic abnormalities associated with certain types of tumors.
The treatment for cancers of the nervous system, including brain tumors and spinal cord tumors, depends on several factors, such as the type and grade of the tumor, its location, size, and the patient’s overall health. The primary treatment options for cancers of the nervous system include –
- Surgery – Surgical removal of the tumor is often the initial treatment for many brain and spinal cord tumors, whenever feasible. The aim is to remove as much of the tumor as possible without causing damage to surrounding healthy tissues. In some cases, complete removal may not be possible due to the tumor’s location or other factors.
- Radiation therapy – Radiation therapy uses high-energy X-rays or other forms of radiation to destroy cancer cells or inhibit their growth. It may be administered before or after surgery, depending on the tumor type and other factors.
- Chemotherapy – Chemotherapy involves the use of drugs that can kill cancer cells or inhibit their growth. It is typically administered orally or through intravenous infusion.
- Targeted therapy – Targeted therapy involves the use of drugs that specifically target certain molecules or genetic mutations found in cancer cells. These drugs are designed to interfere with specific pathways or processes involved in tumor growth and survival.
- Immunotherapy – Immunotherapy is a treatment approach that uses drugs to stimulate the body’s immune system to recognize and attack cancer cells. While immunotherapy has shown promise in various types of cancers, its use in brain tumors is still being explored through clinical trials and research.
Research and Clinical Trials
Many neuro-oncologists are involved in research and clinical trials to advance our understanding of brain tumors and develop new treatment approaches. They contribute to the development and evaluation of novel therapies, helping to improve outcomes for patients.
FAQs about Neuro Oncologist in Mumbai
Once you’ve done deep research on the best neuro oncologists in Mumbai you must ask these important questions (FAQs) to neuro oncologists –
- How many patients with brain or spinal cord tumors have you treated?
- What treatment options do you recommend for my specific condition?
- Do you actively participate in research or clinical trials related to brain and spinal cord tumors?
- Reviews from patient references or testimonials?
- Do you work with a multidisciplinary team of specialists in neuro-oncology?
- What are the potential risks and side effects of the recommended treatments?
- What supportive care services do you provide to help manage symptoms and improve quality of life?
- Are there any alternative or complementary treatment options you recommend to patients?
Why Uhapo is the Best Healthcare Navigator to find Neuro Oncologists in Mumbai?
Uhapo is a social enterprise that provides access to the best medical team of highly-qualified cancer doctors and specialists to treat cancer with care. Our organization is equipped with a network of the Best Neuro Oncologist in Mumbai who are skilled in various diagnostic techniques that include physical examinations, biopsies, imaging tests (such as CT scans, MRI scans, and PET scans), and laboratory analysis for accurately diagnosing neuro oncology cancer among patients. Our Neuro Oncologists in Mumbai are expertized in determining the stage of cancer – which involves evaluating the extent of cancer spread for making treatment decisions and providing prognostic information about the likely course of the disease.
We can navigate you to the Best Neuro Oncologist in Mumbai – that are qualified to assess the individual needs of each patient by developing personalized treatment plans. They determine the overall factors of individual patients including the type and stage of the cancer, the patient’s overall health, and their treatment goals. The major treatment options considered by our top neuro oncology doctors are surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, targeted therapy, or a combination of these modalities to cure the patients with the best treatment approaches.